Brooke Alford, Artist of the Violin
"Not a Violinist, but an Artist of the Violin"
A Violinist? No. Something fresh and something different? Yes, an Artist of the Violin, emphasizing a fresh approach and higher standard of playing than your average violin player. Residing in New York City (by way of Atlanta, GA), Brooke Alford is a contemporary national recording and touring Artist of the Violin, entrepreneur, educator, motivational speaker, and health and fitness advocate.
With over 9 years of professional experience in the music business and her artistry, Brooke has had a number of outstanding opportunities including opening for national and international recording artists and entertainers such as Mint Condition, Peabo Bryson, Najee (Nah-G), Will Downing, Paul Taylor, Marion Meadows, Eric Darius, and Comedians Paul Mooney and Dick Gregory, just to name a few. Artists such as James Ingram, The Marshall Tucker Band, Frank McComb, and Kenneth Edmonds (better known as “Babyface”) and Alex Bugnon (Boon-yun) include those she has shared the stage with collaboratively! Platinum Record Producer Polow da Don who has produced for Usher, Chris Brown, and 50 Cent and Platinum Hip-Hop Artist, B.o.B were beyond impressed with Brooke’s performance and string arranging skills in the studio.
Brooke's versatile style and unconventional approach to her craft have placed her in front of R&B, Pop, Jazz, Country, and Gospel audiences nationwide. Brooke has also been featured on Trinity Broadcasting Network’s (TBN) “Praise the Lord” program with Gospel Artist Rodney Dean Boyden (Boy-den), Atlanta's Inspiration Station Praise 102.5/102.9FM, and on WATC Channel 57’s “Atlanta Live” Gospel and Inspirational television program. You can even find her circulating commercial on Earvin “Magic” Johnson’s television channel, ASPiRE, on the Comcast network!
Surrounded by creativity from birth, Brooke’s Mother, Dell Alford (who is a retired music educator and piano instructor), and her Father, Dr. Vernon Alford Jr. (who is an educator, author, and visual artist), nurtured her and her two siblings' fascinations with music and the arts from an early age. Brooke's older sister, Mia Alford Fearon, is professional clarinetist and music specialist, and their younger brother, Vernon Alford III, is a business administration professional. Brooke began formally dancing at the age of three, studying the piano at the age of five, and then began studying the violin with Violinist, Heather Ritchie just a few years later. Because the unique timbre and tone of the violin were so captivating when listening to Soul, Funk, Classical, Gospel, and Jazz growing up, Brooke knew that this was the instrument for her. In high school, the violin became her primary focus. She then began studying privately with Atlanta Symphony Violinist, Jay Christy, to advance her playing to the collegiate level of study.
Brooke received her Bachelor of Music degree Cum Laude under the prestigious Florida State University College of Music. She was under the instruction of the late Beth Newdome, former Associate Concertmaster of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Ms. Newdome lost her battle to cancer in 2010. Not only was she a phenomenal Violinist and instructor, but was one of Brooke’s most influential inspirations during her studies at FSU. Brooke is honored to currently possess one of the violins that used to belong to Ms. Newdome. Brooke named this cherished possession “Anaiya Leshae”. Both of Brooke’s albums were recorded on Anaiya. The featured track “Twenty-Two" off of her latest CD The Viosocalist is her personal dedication to Ms. Newdome.
While studying at FSU, Brooke performed for World Renowned Jazz Violinist, Regina Carter during Mrs. Carter’s 2004 Atlanta Jazz Festival master class and participated in the Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro, NC (2004). Brooke also studied under the FSU International Program in London, England with Royal Philharmonic Violinist, Eric Chapman.
T-Shirts for a Cause
Today, many children will not have the opportunity to learn, study, and perform music as Brooke did. Some of same music programs that Brooke was able to take advantage in her grade school years no longer exist due to school and government budget cuts. Brooke has decided to be a part of the solution of helping to save music programs in our communities through her effort, “T-Shirts for a Cause”. When a t-shirt is purchased, a portion of the proceeds goes toward helping these music programs. More information about Brooke’s effort can be found on her website homepage www.BrookeAlfordViolin.com. Brooke’s hope is to gain the support of her fans and supporters nationwide to help keep music alive for the next generation of musicians!
Brooke has accepted the challenge of a very demanding career. She has found a way to manage the physical and mental demands of the entertainment industry both on and off the stage. Brooke's first priority is to be healthy and fit. As a performer and a competitive athlete in 5k and 10k running and in fitness (bikini model and fitness model competitor), Brooke has learned the value of hard work in both fields. Her competitive nature drives her to take challenges by the horns for self-betterment. Positive changes can occur when challenges are presented.
After beginning her formal dance studies at age 3, Brooke then moved to tennis in elementary school, and to track and cross country running (her number one athletic love) in high school. She competed on the high school cross country and track teams and continued her training regimens in college. An injury prevented her from competing while studying for her Violin Performance degree at FSU, but despite the injury experienced then, running is still part of her routine to remain healthy.
Brooke decided to take her competitive fitness drive to an entirely new level in 2012, inspiring the birth of VFiT in 2014. She began training to compete as a fitness and bikini model competitor in her first fitness competition, The FitSciences Championships. Master fitness professional, Kendall Wood trained Brooke for a two month period prior to the competition. Taking on this challenge changed Brooke’s outlook on health and fitness, resulting in a 20lb fat loss and 6lb muscle gain! Brooke was one of the top 10 bikini model competitors in the competition. This accomplishment motivated Brooke to compete in the East Cobb Chick-fil-A 5k race series in October 2012, where she placed 1st in her division and 4th place overall female; in The FitSciences Health of Atlanta 5k run in June 2013, where she was the overall winner; in the Transfiguration Catholic Church's "Mission Run: Run for their lives" 5k race in November 2013, where she placed 1st in her division, 5th place overall female, and 18th overall runner of 200+ runners; and in February 2014 during the RetOlympics Cardio Tri-atholon competition (run 2 miles, bike 2 miles, and 2 miles on the eliptical) at Retro Fitness of Kingston/Princeton in New Jersey where she placed 1st overall female in the competition.
VFiT is an entity of her artistry in which she uses to promote health and fitness to her fans and listeners by encouraging them to put their health first. "Take care of YOUR health first so that you can be at your best to be a blessing to others. Without our health, we have NOTHING.”~Brooke Alford.
Currently, Brooke Alford, Artist of the Violinis working on her third studio album, remaining focused on the promotions of her latest CD, The Viosocalist EP, continuing to build her brand and business Alford Enterprises & Entertainment Group, LLC with her progressive team, helping to save music programs in our communities through her special campaign “T-shirts for a Cause”, staying VFiT by choosing a lifestyle of healthy nutrition, running, and advanced cross training.
Brooke Alford, Artist of the Violin is a Super-Sensitive Musical Strings Company endorsed artist.
- Opened for hit R&B artist Peabo Bryson at the Lithonia Amphitheater in Lithonia, GA
- Featured on BET Network's 10th Annual BLACK GIRLS ROCK with stellar all-female The Sisterhood of Strings with retro-soul singer and song writer Andra Day at The New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC)
- Performed with the legendary Southern Rock group, The Marshall Tucker Band on the Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration Cruise Ship
- Radio One station Praise 102.5/102.9FM artist in rotation
- Airplay of single “Twenty-Two” featured on New York’s WBLS radio station in conjunction with featured performance during “Summer Stage in Harlem” Concert series
- Opened for hit R&B Group, Mint Condition at the Union County Performing Arts Center in Union, NJ
- Featured performing artist during the 2014 Mayoral Inauguration of Mayor Ras Baraka of Newark, NJ
- Super-Sensitive Musical Strings Company endorsed Artist (2014-current)
- Sponsored by Retro Fitness of Kingston/Princeton, primary sponsor of ViosocalistFit
- Featured performance at the world's most exquiste and luxurious hotel, The Waldorf Astoria in New York, NY for Fountain Baptist Church of Summit NJ's 20th Pastoral Anniversary celebration
- Featured artist during the 14th annual Omaha Blues, Jazz, and Gospel Festival, opening for Marion Meadows in Omaha, NE
- Featured artist during the 2013 New Brunswick Jazz Festival in New Brunswick, NJ; artists in the line-up included Robert Glasper, Bob Baldwin, and Phil Perry
- Featured guest performer at "The world famous" Sylvia’s restaurant in Harlem, NY with The Simpsons singing group during their weekly Sunday Gospel Brunch showcase
- Opened for award-winning vocal artist Alicia Meyers during the WBLS Radio Showcase in Queensbridge, NY
- Opened for National Recording Artist Frank McComb during 102.5/102.9FM's "Gospel Jazz LIVE" Series in Atlanta, GA
- Featured guest performer during Mayor Kasim Reed's VIP Receptionfor his annual "Forever Young" Senior Citizen's Ball
- Featured guest performer during the Ebony Steele "Bare Chest for Breast Cancer" Charity Event in Atlanta, GA
- Brooke's commerical and interview is featured on Earvin "Magic" Johnson's new Comcast television network, ASPiRE, which is currently airing nation wide
- Featured guest performer on WATC Atlanta's TV 57 "Atlanta Live" Inspirational Program
- Shared the stage with award-winning jazz pianist Alex Bugnon during JazzBeat Promotions "First Fridays" Concert Series in Atlanta, GA
- Opened for Smooth Jazz National Recording Artists Eric Darius and Rick Braun at the Catalina Island JazzTrax Festival in Avalon, CA
- Performed with nationally acclaimed comedian "Special K" of The Rickey Smiley Show at "Jazz and Jokes" in Nashville, TN
- Featured on BKS1 Entertainment and The YWCA's National "Rise Up! Against Domestic Violence" Music Compilation along with LaTonya Blige, Mary J. Blige, Lalah Hathaway, and more
- Featured Artist during the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorney's Annual Gala at the Historical Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA
- Featured Artist during the Colorado Smooth Jazz and R&B Lover's Festival in Denver, CO
- Performed during the YWCA National Conference “Rise Against Domestic Violence” Campaign in Washington D.C.
- Performed for the Women for Women International’s “Join me on the Bridge” Campaign at City Hall in New York City to commemorate the Centennial International Women’s Day
- Performed with Hit Singer James Ingram during the Trumpet Awards in Atlanta, GA
- Performed with Music Legend Babyface during Music Executive Devyne Steven’s “Winter Wonderland” Christmas Show at the Roxy Theater in Buckhead, GA
- Opened for National Smooth Jazz Recording Artist, Paul Taylor at Samubca Jazz Cafe in Atlanta, GA
- Opened for world renowned Smooth Jazz Recording Artists Na’Jee and Will Downing at the State Theater of New Jersey in New Brunswick, NJ
- Cast member of the NEW TV Show Series “Which Way”: www.WhichWayShow.com
- Performed for Gospel Recording Artist, Byron Cage at his mother’s 75th Birthday Party
- Performed for Smooth Jazz Great, Najee, and guests during the 2010 Inaugural Gala for the Mayor of Paterson, NJ, Jeffery Jones
- Shared the stage with New York’s popular radio show host for 98.7 Kiss FM (WRKS New York), Jeff Foxx on bass at the 2010 Inaugural Gala
- Performed with Beyonce’s Saxophonist, Tia Fuller in Paterson, NJ at Jacksonville
- Performed during the Legendary Sunday Jam Session at The Village Underground in New York City, NY
- Performed with the Great Cecil Brooks on drums at Cecil’s in West Orange, NJ
- Performed at the Legendary Jazz Jam Session at Crossroads in Garwood, NJ
- Guest Interviewee and Performer on New Jersey’s BSK1 RADIO (Best Kept Secret RADIO) LIVE Online Radio Show “Live In The Vocal Booth”
- Clark Atlanta’s 91.9 FM “Jazz and Jeans” music series featured guest artist
- Featured on Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) with Gospel Recording Artist, Rodney Dean Boyden September
- Special Musical Appearance at the WORLD Natural Hair and Beauty Show
- BRAVO TV, “House wives of Atlanta” reality series, airing October
- Special Guest Artist for Praise 97.5’s 2nd Annual “Gospel Jazz Live!” Outdoor Concert at Villa Christina
- Private Parties for Courvoisier, Level Vodka, and the BET Awards
The Atlanta Jazz Festival “Future of Jazz” Stage (featured with Saxophonist Antoine Knight)